Winter Therapy

Well, here is how I've been managing to get through our very cold winter.  With temperatures close to 0 degrees for the past several weeks,  a natural for me is to cover myself with fabric and get creative. While making drapes and valances and all kinds of other projects involving fabric over the past ten years,  you can imagine the amount of scraps I have accumulated.  I hate to throw them away because of how pretty so many of them are and knowing that they could be used to make something else just as beautiful.  My poor husband has been willing to move across the country, three times, many plastic tubs full of scraps.  

I have always loved crazy quilts!  Anything that looks vintage or like a classic piece of history I have always been drawn to.  Crazy quilts began as a money saving practice from the colonial era.  With random fabric piecing and lots of embellishments,  crazy quilts became an art form. Below is my first attempt at a crazy quilt.  I am loving it so far.  It's been fun to use fabrics that remind me of our own homes, family, clients from long ago and current, and close friends that I have helped over the years. 

Enjoy!



The beginning has been rewarding.  Snuggly, warm colors and memories galore.  The fun part has begun as I discover new embroidery stitches, beads, buttons and lace. 

The history of the crazy quilt is that it began by using, just I have, old scraps of fabric from clothing, blankets, and all sorts of other sewing projects. Women, out of necessity,  making every piece of silk, cotton, wool and damask stretch to fill even the most basic need.  I, by nature, am a very practical person and like to get the most out of everything I purchase. It is natural that these quilts are dear to my heart.  They have great personality and everyone you see if different.  I love that!

Below are some of the fun stitches I've discovered.  This quilt will probably take me years but I can't wait to see it completed!












Comments

Popular Posts